Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just can't get enough of it

First things first...I m not an avid reader of blogs...actually nowadays I dont like reading at all...I dont even know whether if given the chance I would be reading my own blogs myself...Moreover I dont have any command of language or any witty jokes with which I am planning to win over people's hearts...And a mild warning at the beginning ...I am a cricket maniac..so if you are averse to cricket please stay away...

So you ask what prompted such a lazy person like me , who virtually hates reading , to write a blog. The answer is very simple. I just have too much free time at home. And to tell the truth I have finally gotten bored of Facebook (yes you heard that right). But the thing that I have realized is  - one thing I can never get bored of is cricket. I donno why...Since early childhood ever since I watched that ODI at the Eden Gardens between India and the West Indies in the Hero Cup final I have been somehow mesmerized by the craziness surrounding cricket in the land of art and culture - Bengal. I can still picture vividly the stands full of firecrackers and the paper being burnt all over the place (strange way to celebrate victory I thought). From then onwards cricket has always been my first love(Sorry Nishtha).

And to say the truth I was never such a patriotic person. I have never woken up before 12 on the 15th of August. And the only reason I woke up early on the 26th of Jan was to catch a glimpse of the parade telecast on Doordarshan. But somehow when it came to cricket, it was like India should win eveything. I have been with them through ebbs and flows, highs and lows...decided at times never to touch cricket again..but returned the next match to support them enthusiastically again..

So it was but natural that when the IPL was launched and Kolkata got the opportunity to have a team of their own..which team I would be gunning for..Ok. To clear matters first, I am not a Bengali. Yes my friends at Kgp did call me one..but it was more of a jeer n sneer than anything else..They even called me a pseudo-bengali (imagine that)..But one thing is sure - I love Kolkata and West Bengal, inspite of all the Cholbe Na's and the Cholche Cholbe's...it has its own charm , homeliness and peacefulness that I find lacking in the other cities. I had given my heart way back to Kolkata. And when KKR came into being, I was as excited as you can imagine - what with Dada being the captain and leading my dream team - it was too good to be true. And when McCullum scored that 158 in the first match against RCB, I thought that the cup was ours for the taking...but alas as Murphy has taught us things do not always go as planned... 3 frusssstating seasons in a row..but I still have not lost hope...

This season we are sporting a new team with a new leader, albeit without Dada..but I am still with them...I dont care how but I want them to win at any cost.. I would love to be able to see a KKR win in Mumbai in the IPL. As many of my friends know my dream year would be if Manchester United complete the treble, India win the World Cup, KKR win the IPL and Alonso wins the Formula 1 Championship.......and at this point of time I aint betting against any of them...are you?

8 comments:

  1. dude, a nice one.. believe me, apart frm th F1, th othr three are th ones which ll mk it a dream year for me too... else, who wd wake up 8:30 am on SUnday to watch FA Cup... a nice straight from the heart post, keep it up :) nd I luv kolkata too, dying to be thr.. KKR, lets c... n its so wonderful to know tht india has one more national holiday :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. if u get tym, go thru my blog n gimme ur feedback .. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude its nt 26th aug.. bt 26th jan wen u get to see parade early morn :P ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. gr8 start! looking forward to cricmania!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys for the encouragement...and as I realise blogging is a great way to pass your time.. :)
    @animesh : will surely go thru them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gajab makhau hai..... third city kaun sa hai..... :P :P :P..... waise mast likha hai.... :)

    ReplyDelete